I wanted to make waffles the other weekend because I was in a waffle-y mood. It was Saturday morning and visions of maple syrup bottles danced in my head the night before.
As usual, I was up before Hubster and got to work with the ingredients. I "borrowed" a box of waffle mix from my mom's pantry and gathered everything all together to make 1-2 large waffles. The great thing about mixes is that you just have to follow the directions on the box and everything turns out perfectly. Right? ;)
In my decaffeinated grogginess I misread the directions and added the amount of water required for 3-4 large waffles. Oops.
I ran with it anyway. I was hungry, gosh darnit! The mixture took a little bit longer to cook, but the texture was something like a very chewy, soft waffle. It was like a pancake in the shape and form of a waffle.
And I will call them...paffles! They weren't bad. I probably won't make 'em again ;)
Recipe for Paffles
- Enough waffle mix for 1-2 large waffles (I followed the measurements on the Krusteaz box).
- Enough water for 3-4 large waffles (I think it was twice as much as the correct measurement called for)
- Eggs (I just used egg whites)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 scoop vanilla-flavored protein powder (keeps ya full, I tell ya!)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon (I like my spice, what can I say)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- My toppings: natural peanut butter, agave drizzled on top (what! no maple syrup?!?!), clementine slices
Cook mixture according to your waffle maker's directions. Top with peanut butter and clementine slices, and drizzle with agave. Stuff your face and let your hubby do the dishes when he wakes up :) Taste and see that breakfasty goodness can be had without maple syrup, too :)