Saturday, September 18, 2010

Oatmeal-Applesauce Waffles with Homemade Berry Compote

Okay, wafflers, round two!

You may have read earlier about my paffle pseudo-disaster, and earlier this week I was determined to make up for it.

This time I followed the directions on the box more carefully, and added my own twist to come up with something good for you, filling and delicious. Enjoy!

Get your ingredients together (FYI: there is peanut butter in the picture but I ended up not using it)...

...and mix in a large bowl.

Pour your mix into a preheated, greased waffle iron (I snagged this baby at Target for $7 - woot!)...

...and voila!

Oatmeal-Applesauce Waffles with Homemade Berry Compote

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups waffle mix (I used Krusteaz)
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 packet apple-cinnamon-flavored instant oatmeal (I used Quaker)
  • 1 tbsp. flax seeds
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup each fresh blueberries and raspberries
Directions:
  • Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
  • In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together with a wisk.
  • Add wet ingredients to the bowl and mix.
  • Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray.
  • Fill your waffle iron with batter and cook. Repeat until you have a plate full of waffly deliciousness and your batter is gone :)
  • While the waffles are cooking, rinse your berries and put them in a ramekin. Microwave for 30 seconds until they have heated and reduced into a syrup (there should be seeds and berry pieces left).
  • Serve your waffles topped with compote and a little agave if you wish. Enjoy!

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty tired but I had to comment and say YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I love the berry compote. It's the perfect addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I have that waffle iron too and I LOVE it. and Second, using pre packaged oatmeal in the mix is genius.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...