Our weather in San Diego has been unseasonally warm this week. 100 degrees in October? For real. It's been hot.
Keeping those hot temperatures in mind threw me for a loop when dinnertime rolled around the other night. I was planning to cook something easy in the oven, but realized a piping hot dish out of the oven didn't sound so hot (pun intended, ha!) on a warm evening.
Inspiration struck me and I ran with it. This salad is easy, delicious, and filling. It's even better the next day once the flavors have time to mix and mingle. Enjoy!
Mexican Black Bean and Veggie Salad
Makes 2 large portions
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 large cucumber, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- 1 cup salsa of your choice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Dice all your veggies. In a large bowl, mix the veggies together with the can of beans, and stir in the cheese.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the cumin, chipotle chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir in the salsa so everything is combined evenly.
- Add the salsa mixture to the salad, and stir to coat everything evenly.
- Eat at room temperature, or chill and serve. Don't forget the tortilla chips!