Sunday, August 8, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

My mom loves cookbooks, and she's gotten me hooked on collecting them. About a month or so ago she read an article in the L.A. Times about a group of ex-nuns who run a retreat center in Santa Barbara. They sound like incredible women of faith and as a lover of all things retreat-related, I would love to visit there someday.

Anyway, the article talked about their fantastic cooking abilities and the women have published a cookbook featuring some of their favorite recipes. My mom ordered it and I took the liberty of making their Banana Nut Bread. I kept the recipe basically the same, except I cut the sugar down to 1/3 cup, added about 2 tbsp. of orange zest, 1 tsbp. cinnamon, and 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt. It was good and extremely moist - just the way I like my banana bread :)

This morning we had plenty of leftover bread in our apartment, so I had the brilliant idea (if I do say so myself) of toasting it and spreading a little organic peanut butter on the top. Sweet baby Jesus, it was good.

I have also been reading too-many-to-count healthy living blogs for the past several months, and had been wanting to try Angela's Green Monster. Don't be afraid of the spinach - it's good for you! :) I doubled the Virgin Green Monster Recipe and used 1 banana plus 1 cup of strawberries for the fruit. 'Twas delish and I definitely plan to make it again - thanks Angela!

The green monsta, banana nut bread + PB, and *$'s coffee in one of my favorite mugs from Anthropologie. Woo breakfast! It's definitely my favorite meal of the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...