Monday, August 9, 2010

Sinister Grape Jelly

Whilst I continue my job search, I try to find fun and interesting recipes or think of creative meals to make throughout the day, even if they're simple.

Such was the case for brekkie: I had the rest of the green monsta I made yesterday, plus some Nature's Own whole wheat bread (it's delicious, and only 50 calories a slice!) with organic PB & strawberry fruit spread. I am trying to stay away from icky high fructose corn syrup, so it's nice to have all of those typical pantry staples without the extra sugar. In my opinion, the less junk we put in our bodies, the better!

Can you believe I used to be afraid of PB&J? Funny story: when I was in kindergarten, for some odd reason I only liked PB sandwiches. No jam, thank you ma'am! One day, my mom told me she put a "surprise" in my lunchbox. During lunchtime, I took one bite of my sandwich, only to burst into tears after finding a sinister layer of that purple stuff covering my beloved PB. My teacher came to the rescue, however, and scraped off the jelly with a knife. I was not to be consoled, however, as any trace of the jelly on my PB just wouldn't cut it. Literally. Pun intended.

And so the story comes to an end on the spring break mission trip I took to Guatemala during my senior year of college. We bought the necessities to make PB&Js for lunch during one of our work days, and deep down I was scared to try it. Manual labor makes one hungry, however, so I sucked it up and took a bite.

How could I have NOT been eating that gloriousness for 17+ years?!?! Sweet baby Jesus! I ate every last bite of that sandwich and haven't looked back since. PB&J, I love you together as you rightfully should be. Never again will I separate one of you from your beloved as you tingle on my tastebuds. Ah...bliss :)

Fortunately, my lunch today was tear-free. I had a midmorning snack of several turkey slices and some fresh strawberries from the farmers' market last weekend:

I bought a lot of spinach on sale last week, and it needed to be eaten, so I felt inspired to make a Greek-style sandwich. I used a Western Alternative Sweet Wheat bagel (110 calories, 8g fiber and 7g protein EACH! So much healthy deliciousness!), spread some TJ's Roasted Red Pepper hummus on both sides, and added sliced cucumber, tomato, spinach and a little crumbled light Feta cheese. Totally hit the spot.
Look at all that hummusy goodness stickin' out on the spinach!

I also had some grapes and a Fiber One Oats & Chocolate bar. Those things are addicting.

Hubby had a long day at work so I decided to cook dinner. My mom had gifted us with some frozen pork tenderloin she cooked the other week. I reheated it in the oven at 350 for an hour, and it ended up being the perfect temperature. It tasted like she marinated it in teriyaki sauce, so I heated together some of her homemade nectarine preserves and TJ's Peach Salsa for a little sauce:

The finished product:

Plus a side salad of spinach, feta, chopped raw almonds, clementines, cracked black pepper, and raspberry vinaigrette.

Of course dessert is always in order, so I mixed together fresh strawberries, blueberries, a few chocolate chips and nuked it for 15 seconds to melt the chocolate. I topped it off with some pumpkin flax granola I got on sale at Sprouts today (one of my favorite markets!). It was almost like a fruit crisp with chocolate - delish :)

I also had a few bites of ice cream after our evening walk ;) Oh..and these must be made - stat. Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...